On the horizon of the district between old, handmade fences and the sky, you can see the newly built glass skyscrapers in the bright light of the coastal center of the city, as if portending future innovations of Bayil.
Construction on the territory assigned to the Maritime Department began in 1858 and in a short time the general contours of the admiralty and the port began to emerge, as well as the shape of the quarters built directly outside the military settlement. This marked the beginning of the formation of an independent military-administrative and residential area of the city. The layout of Bayil was formed with its main parts - the port with the admiralty, the administrative-public zone and the residential territory with officer and sailor quarters.
The first residential parts in Bayil formed along the road that runs from the Bailovsky cape to the mosque in Shikhovo. The formation of the Black City and the opening of oil fields in the Bibi Heybat region stimulated the expansion of Bayil towards Baku. In the years 1870-1880, this road acquired industrial significance - oil began to be transported along it from the Bibi-Heybat fields to the factory territory in the Black City. In the opposite direction they brought construction materials and fishing equipment. Along the road there were rows of eateries, tea houses and shops for workers and small-scale employees associated with the fields. By the end of the 19th century, the residential part occupied steep slopes and developed towards the city, which went beyond the borders of its lands and merged with the surrounding areas, while the center of Bayil remained in the port area. Year after year, the former energy center, then a rich source of oil becomes a modern coastal residential area.